Combining therapeutic group work with the development of judo skills, Respect Judo is a six week programme that is a proven resource with regards to the enhancement of student interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
By utilising solution focused approaches Respect Judo offers a 45 minute group work session enabling young people to identify personal strengths and competencies and then apply such attributes to the learning of new skills. Following the group work element, young people take part in a 45 minute judo session, not only learning the basic skills of judo as a discipline and sport but also gaining an insight into the underlying philosophy of judo, based on respect, co-operation, personal growth and development.
Although the teaching of judo is an integral and vital element of the six week program, the focus of Respect Judo is personal responsibility, self-control and self-confidence.
Respect Judo is designed to:
- Enable children and young children to develop their skills and resources.
- Provide participants with a medium to develop confidence in and awareness of their ability to learn new skills and resources.
- Offer participants the opportunity to work in a group.
- Teach judo skills that reflect the standards set by the British Judo Association.
- Enable participants to develop skills and resources that are transferable to other environments.
The Resect Judo group program can be adapted to meet the needs of both primary and upper school aged children. The workshop is suitable for up to 15 children and young people. Solutionspeak will provide all workbooks and judo equipment with all young people being fully insured to participate in the judo development aspect of the course. Respect Judo is suitable for children and young people over the age of seven. The group is facilitated by a British Judo Association Level 2 Coach and an experienced group facilitator.